How can I protect my computer?
Table of Contents
To protect your account and yourself, you should also protect your computer. Below are some best practices to follow to keep your computer safe.
- Consider installing an antivirus program. Antivirus programs help protect your computer against viruses. Once you install an antivirus program, you also need to keep it up-to-date to be able to detect new forms of viruses that can appear daily, so check the antivirus manufacturer’s website frequently for updates. It is your choice to purchase an antivirus program and then renew the subscription when necessary or to see if you can download a free program. Click here to learn more about security updates.
- Don’t open emails from senders you don’t know or attachments that seem unfamiliar to you. Many viruses come as attachments to email messages and will spread as soon as you open the email attachment. It’s best not to open any attachment unless it is something you are expecting.
- Enable your pop-up blocker on your browser. Most pop-up windows are created by advertising companies to sell their products, but it is also possible that it can contain malicious or unsafe code that can infect your system. A pop-up blocker can prevent some or all of these pop-up windows from appearing.
- Keep your browser updated. Your internet browser will sometimes release new security updates or functionality that can help protect your computer.
- Install a firewall. A firewall program can help alert you to suspicious activity if a virus or worm tried to connect to your computer. It can also block viruses, worms, and hackers from attempting to download potentially harmful programs to your computer.
- Clear your Internet cache and your browsing history. Most browsers store information about the websites you visit, and information you entered into a website such as your name, address, or password. While it may seem convenient to always have that information pre-populated when you return, it is also good practice to delete some or all of the information frequently to protect your privacy.